Monday, December 27, 2010

A Thousand Times Goodnight

[Once Again, this post is from Artemis, so take it out of context and enjoy Shakespeare]

My computer has been broken for six days, I kid you not. It has been a horrible, frustrating and expensive experience that I never want to repeat again.


Anyhoo, today was the Region AAAA One-Act Competition and Kennesaw Mountain's production of Romeo and Juliet went up against five other schools. If you aren't familiar with One Act Play Competitions, a school has 55 minutes to perform their play, bring out and take off the set while three esteemed judges sit in the audience and attempt to attach a number to the highest form of art. For the fifth year in a row, we kicked some serious booootay, taking home the awards for Best Set, Best Costumes, Best Ensemble, Best Actor, Best Actress and the First Place trophy. As one of the two four year Seniors, I got to go onstage and accept the trophy for First Place, and I must say that moment was all I wanted for my birthday!

John Stride and Judi Dench, 1960
To celebrate, here is quite possibly one of my favorite monologues from all of Shakespeare:

    Lovers can see to do their amorous rites
    By their own beauties; or, if love be blind,
    It best agrees with night. Come, civil night,
    Thou sober-suited matron, all in black,
    And learn me how to lose a winning match,
    Play'd for a pair of stainless maidenhoods:
    Hood my unmann'd blood, bating in my cheeks,
    With thy black mantle; till strange love, grown bold,
    Think true love acted simple modesty.
    Come, night; come, Romeo; come, thou day in night;
    For thou wilt lie upon the wings of night
    Whiter than new snow on a raven's back.
    Come, gentle night, come, loving, black-brow'd night,
    Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die,
    Take him and cut him out in little stars,
    And he will make the face of heaven so fine
    That all the world will be in love with night
    And pay no worship to the garish sun.


- Romeo and Juliet
Act III, Scene ii


Romeo and Juliet, 1895

No comments:

Post a Comment