Monday, December 27, 2010

"I wish I knew how to quit you"

Heath: A Family's Tale
Janet Fife-Yeomans

I once said how I hated non-fiction books, and at the beginning of this biography I felt that sentiment's ugly head rearing again. Fife-Yeomans includes so much about his family's history that I was wondering who the book was about. As I continued reading, I got completely caught up in this man and began to understand how his family and the land he came from affected him, particularly towards the end of his life.

The biography tells the story of Heath from the cradle to the grave, and he truly seems to be one of those famous actors who never changed himself for the acceptance of others.

When his career was beginning to take off...

I would not recommend Heath: A Family's Tale to anyone. I think you have to be like me, completely obsessed with the Entertainment Industry, to get something greater than just the story of an actor from this book. So that narrows it down.

Let me rephrase that statement; If you are interested in what it means to be a real actor in Hollywood, dealing with agents and directors, what a contract binds you to, how to handle press and paparazzi, the affect fame has on yourself, your relationships, friends and family, then read this book. That explains it a little better, no?


Heath and Michelle at the Oscar's for Brokeback Mountain

With every page I drooled with jealousy over the actors Heath was able to work and surround himself with; Geoffrey Rush, Orlando Bloom, Anne Hathaway, Russel Crowe, Lena Headey, Nicole Kidman, Michelle Williams, Jake Gyllenhaal and Paul Bettany. (Just to name a few)

Janet Fife-Yeoman's research is incredible, and the book provides the best insight into a life that so many people have opinions about. It flows so effortlessly, I read it in one night! I also would like to say that the Concept and Design editor Reuben Crossman and Layout editor Susanne Geppert did a marvelous job. The colors chosen for the book (Orange, Heath's favorite color) and the text is a graphic designer's dream! It is as aesthetically pleasing to look at (helped of course by Heath's dashing good looks) as it is to read.

It ends with Heath being nominated for a posthumous Oscar, which I felt was fitting for a life that also ended before the story was over. We can have comfort knowing that Heath Ledger lives on in this book, in his work and in the love of his life, little Matilda Rose Ledger.


April 4, 1979 – January 22, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment