Saturday, December 25, 2010

Lo-lee-ta

My review will be here as soon as I can find the mortal words to describe this book, but in the meantime, enjoy Alexander Nabokov's Words

"I adore her so horribly. No: 'horribly' is the wrong word. The elation with which the vision of new delights filled me was not horrible but pathetic. I qualify it as pathetic"
- Humbert

"The artist in me has been given the upper hand over the gentleman"
- Humbert

"Emphatically, no killers are we. Poets never kill."
- Humbert

"This daily headache in the opaque air of this tombal jail is disturbing, but I must preserve... Don't think I can go on. Heart, head - everything. Lolita, Lolita, Lolita, Lolita , Lolita, Lolita, Lolita, Lolita, Lolita. Repeat till the page is full, printer."
- Humbert

Sue Lyons as Lolita, in Stanley Kubrick's film adaptation
"The strain was beginning to tell. If a violin string can ache, then I was that string."
- Humbert

"I now warn the reader not to mock me and my mental daze. It is easy for him and me to decipher now a past destiny; but a destiny in the making is, believe me, not one of those honest mystery stories where all you have to do is keep an eye on the clues"
- Humbert

"I am not a lady and do not like lightning"
- Lolita

"You see, I loved her. It was love at first sight, at last sight, at ever and ever sight."
- Humbert

No comments:

Post a Comment