Saturday, December 25, 2010

Into the Wild Review



Confession: This is quick and not going to be very eloquent or the picture of literary perfection. It is just going to be "meh..." because the book was well, kinda meh.

Summary: Boy burns money. Boy has adventures. Boy goes to Alaska. Boy dies. And I'm not giving the ending away because on the front cover it tells you he dies.

The boy, Chris.

Anyhoo... I felt like I was reading one really, really, really long newspaper article. Which in truth is probably what it is supposed to feel like seeing as the book is one big expanded article. It just began to drag after about the first fifty pages. I judge a book (by its cover, duh) by the ending, and so I was determined to continue reading, but the last twenty pages were extremely difficult to get through.

Now I have told you it is slow in some parts, enough of that. I don't judge Chris for what he did, like some do. Whether he was prepared to face the elements or not, whether he planned on dying in the Alaskan bush or not, Chris did one thing that the majority of us would never dream of doing; he lived without boundaries. For that he has my respect.

I just felt unconnected to this charismatic young man. I feel that this is due to the nature of nonfiction books, you just get a picture of the person without knowing them. My favorite parts were when others who knew him, whether for his whole life or a lonely car ride, described the man they knew. If I knew someone for only hours would they be able to speak so highly of me?
So I leave you with that folks.
How will you influence the people around you?

Read? At least once in your life
Grade? B+

No comments:

Post a Comment